Statistically, if you’re an American, you’re probably unsatisfied, sick and broke. That’s because you were never taught how to be happy, healthy and wealthy. Left to your own devices, you’ve followed the herd of society which indoctrinated you into becoming a soulless consumer. That same society has tricked you into thinking it’s hard to live better and has taught you to scorn and mock the exact things you need to do to get free. But the good news is that it’s simple to get happy, healthy and wealthy. People have figured it out. I’ve done it and you can too. This article tells you exactly how to get happy, healthy and wealthy.
Disclaimer: the information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute medical, legal or financial advice. Instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only and are to be used at your own risk. View full disclaimer.
This guide covers:
Americans Are Unhappy, Unhealthy and Broke
First, some sobering statistics:
- More than 70 percent of workers say they don’t feel satisfied with their career choices.
- An estimated 17.3 million adults in the United States had at least one major depressive episode. This number represented 7.1% of all U.S. adults.
- Unhealthy eating and physical inactivity are leading causes of death in the US.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America.
- 71.6% of American adults are overweight (BMI > 25).
- 9.8% are obese (BMI > 30).
- 7.6% are severely obese (BMI > 40).
- By 2030: Over 50% of the US population will be obese (BMI > 30).
- By 2030: 25% will be severely obese which is over 100 lbs overweight (BMI > 35).
- 64% of Americans will retire broke (less than $10,000 saved for when they retire).
- Two-thirds of Americans would struggle to scrounge up $1,000 in an emergency.
- 43% of Americans spend more than they receive each month and borrow and use credit cards to finance the shortfall.
Why Are you Hurting?
These statistics are sad. Horrible. Millions of individuals are hurting. Why?
They’re unhappy because they’re chasing someone else’s idea of happiness.
They feel unwell because they’re addicted to foods that make them sick.
They’re broke because they buy crap they don’t need with money they don’t have to impress people they don’t know.
Why Attempts at Self Improvement Fail
But those are just the symptoms of their problems and not the root causes.
Most people fail at improving themselves because they tend to the symptoms instead of the causes.
That’s because they don’t know what it means to be happy, healthy and wealthy, were never taught the things to do to get there and haven’t developed the right attitude.
So, they may…
… try to eat better but go back to their old ways after a couple weeks.
… hit the gym a couple times (making sure to post it on social media!) but then stop.
… try to stop spending so much but that only lasts until the next impulse buy.
… get motivated for a hot minute when they read that next social media post about improving their life, but the feeling fades as they scroll on by.
Does any of this sound familiar? Maybe this reminds you of yourself in some ways? If so, let’s first take a closer look at defining what it means to be happy, healthy and wealthy.
What Does it Mean to be Happy?
Happiness is an emotion that’s fed by things outside of you and it’s fleeting. Thus, happiness isn’t the goal. You’ve been chasing the wrong things. I’m personally rarely happy.
Instead, what you need to strive for is contentment. Inner peace. Life satisfaction. Centeredness. Calmness. Those come from within you. You don’t need to keep buying or achieving things to get them. The more content and centered you are internally, the less room there is for frustration, anger, anxiety and other negative emotions.
So, I’ll continue to say ‘happy’ but that’s shorthand for what I really mean – contentment, inner peace, centeredness.
What Does it Mean to be Healthy?
Being healthy means to physically feel well. To feel strong, energetic and limber. Not feel tired and uneasy or have aches and pains most of the time. To have healthy measurements (weight, blood work, etc.).
What Does it Mean to be Wealthy?
Being wealthy means to be without financial stress. To be able to afford what you need now and in the future. To not live paycheck-to-paycheck, to not fight about money, to not worry how you’re going to make ends meet.
The goal is not to be rich. ‘Rich’ is short-term immature flashiness while being wealthy is maturely growing and managing your money responsibly and humbly over the long-term.
What Things You Need to Do to Get Happy, Healthy and Wealthy?
Now that we’ve gone over the goals, let’s go over the things you need to do regularly to get there. Ancient teachings backed by modern science and medicine are clear on what’s necessary:
To get happy:
- Stay in the present moment (mindfulness)
- Have work/life balance
- Be social
- Break the social media addiction
- See a therapist
- Learn and use the laws of reality
- Visualize and manifest your reality
- Find what spiritual expression works for you
- Express yourself creatively
To get healthy:
- Eat a diet rich in fresh foods, vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts. Low in processed foods, carbohydrates (cabs), salt and sugar
- Exercise that includes moderate to vigorous aerobic activity
- Get high-quality sleep
- Drink plenty of water daily
- Fast regularly
- Have good posture
- Stretch often
- Don’t sit for too long
To get wealthy:
- Live and spend below your means
- Keep a budget
- Save up an emergency fund
- Have no debt
- Invest into retirement funds
- Save and invest for kids’ college and other general expenses
- Spend, give and be generous
Your Chances of Success Improves Dramatically
Like I said, the list to getting happy, healthy and wealthy is short and simple. But it may not necessarily be easy for you. People often get the two confused.
But this is it. If you do those things on the list, your chances of being happy, healthy and wealthy go up dramatically.
Of course there are no guarantees. Even after doing all of these, you can get run over by a bus or get cancer and be dead within a month. That’s the way life works. But in the mean time, you can live a great life. I know I am.
I’m happy, healthy and wealthy from following that list, learning the skills to do them and having the right attitude.
I’m content, satisfied, centered, calm and even. These have deepened over the years.
I’m at a healthy weight, feel great and all measurements are healthy.
My wife and I have no debt other than the mortgage, have a six-month emergency fund, more than enough money for what we want and need now and we’re on target to retire in our mid- to late-fifties.
Of course life isn’t perfect. But that’s not the goal. But things are good enough, enough of the time.
And I have no regrets. My wife and I have created and lived the exact life we’ve wanted and I am ready to die at anytime without any regrets. My life from here on out is just icing on the cake.
Here Come the Excuses
You’ve been so brainwashed by society that your mind will find any excuse that any of this won’t work:
- “Easy for him to say. He doesn’t know my struggles.”
- “Must be nice to have a perfect little life.”
- “Oh, he’s a New Ager/hippie and believes in woo-woo.”
- “He’s just going through a phase and will get back to ‘real life’ soon.”
- “Easy to say when you’ve haven’t had any struggles in life.”
- “I found (one thing that is wrong) or I’m going to take (one thing) out of context and so I’m going to discredit this whole article.”
- “Not everyone is as lucky like that. I’m jealous!”
- “I’d be able to have a good life too if I was white. White privilege.”
- “Sure, it’s easy when you’re rich.”
- “This is a good theory, but I’ll keep doing (completely made up bull crap theory).”
- “Well isn’t that nice, why do you spread some of that pixie dust over here?”
- “Bull crap. He’s lying. Hardly anyone is happy, healthy or wealthy.”
- “What’s he trying to sell? Is he in a cult?”
- “Man that all sounds like so much work – screw that!”
It’s Possible to be Happy, Healthy, Wealthy
I don’t blame you for thinking any of that. All I got to say, it’s possible to be happy, healthy and wealthy. But don’t believe me. Don’t trust me. Don’t trust anyone with the success of your life. That’s what got you into this predicament to begin with. Look into these things for yourself. See what happens.
It’s straight forward: you’re miserable, unhealthy and broke because of what society has trained you to do and the fix is to do the things on that list. I think it’s the best way to live. It’s a life of moderation. Of improving and maintaining all areas of your life – physical, mental, spiritual and financial. It’s universal in it’s approach. It can work for any age, race, creed, occupation or personality type.
I think my framework is the best way to live. It’s based on ancient teachings backed up with modern science. But my thinking is always evolving and I’m always looking for better ways to live.
I take a scientific approach to life: observe, research, hypothesize, test, analyze and share the results. That’s more robust (and less delusional) than having preconceived notions and trying to twist the world to fit them.
Nothing New Under the Sun
In the meantime, there is nothing new on that list. I just stumbled across what works over years and put it all together into one framework. Mankind has known how to live well for thousands of years. So many motivational speakers, great spiritual teachers, financial advisers, therapists, doctors, and scientists have all pointed to the same things. But society has taught you to not listen. It’s been in front of you all along.
And it’s simpler than you think. My wife and I agree that it’s actually been pretty easy. Counter-intuitively, life gets easier the harder you work at it. But that’s because her and I have developed the right attitude and skills.
The Right Attitude and Skills
The cold, hard truth is that you have to work at living life intentionally. That takes hard work sometimes. Many people want a better life without working harder, smarter, different or longer than they have and then expect the life they want to fall in their lap. It doesn’t work that way! Things don’t get easier, you get tougher.
Here is the right attitude and skills you need to develop:
- Realize you need to change to make things change.
- Live intentionally. Define where you want to go, where are you, and how to get there and then work until you get there.
- Just start. You don’t need to know how to do every step from start to finish before being able to start. Just head in right direction and adjust.
- Develop good habits. What you do is what you become.
- Increase your determination and will power. Don’t rely on motivation – it’s fleeting.
- Have patience. Most things take time. Usually 30 days to achieve it or see significant progress.
- Be mature. Put long-term goals over short-term pleasure.
- Most things are 80% attitude and 20% head knowledge (80/20 rule)
- The same skills apply to getting happy, healthy and wealthy – it’s all the same.
- Progress, not perfection, is usually the goal. Know when something is good enough.
Your thoughts lead to behaviors which lead to actions which lead to results which affect your thoughts and the cycle continues.
Right now you’re on a negative feedback loop. To develop a positive feedback loop, you can start with a healthy attitude which will lead to healthy actions or start healthy actions which can improve your attitude.
What Does Being Happy, Healthy and Wealthy Look Like in Practice
What does being happy, healthy and wealthy look like in practice?
You may think it’s being rigid and having everything planned out to the minute and dollar. Also maybe working out or working on your finances for hours a day. It’s not any of that at all.
You are intentional with your actions and try to make good decisions but there is a grace and flow that takes place. But it is consistent. Consistency is key. Success is not by accident. It’s intentional.
That’s why forming good habits is key. That allows you to regularly tend to your physical, mental, spiritual and financial health daily. Slow and steady wins the race. The positive actions you take may start out as something you do but eventually naturally become who you are.
While at the same time, it looks like any other ordinary life from a far. We surely look like stereotypical yuppies living in our subdivision. Married with two kids. Have a Golden Retriever named Charlie. We have movie nights. I love playing video games and we try many different hobbies and activities. We have many ‘normal’ and ‘average’ moments. That’s what it’s all about.
So, What Now?
So, what now? Well, society put you in a cage a long time ago but you’ve had the key to the gate in your hand the whole time. You can open it and leave any time you want. But you need to take that step.
It can be very scary and you may feel better to suffer with a group in society than go out on your own towards a better life. It sure is easier. But it’s always up to you. You just need to open that gate and set out.
The Ultimate Guides
If you do want to improve your life using the framework laid out in this article, I’ve written ultimate guides on how to get happy, healthy and wealthy. They:
- Take a deep dive into the list of things in this article to dramatically increase the chances of success in your life.
- They point you to the attitude you need to develop.
- They also link to many resources including facts backing up what I say here as well as well regarded experts in all the topics listed here.
Click below to read them. Free of charge and access them instantly – no registration required. They are jammed packed with the knowledge and step-by-step instructions you can do to start getting happy, healthy and wealthy starting right now.
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Happy (11K+ words)
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Healthy (10K+ words)
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Wealthy (8K+ words)
- The Ultimate Guide to Spirituality (10K+ words)
You can start working multiple guides at the same time and I recommend you do. Open the gate. To your happiness, health and prosperity!