Be sure to read the intro so that you understand what the terms used here mean and how they fit together.
Most Americans are fat, out of shape and die from preventable disease. Don’t be like most people. Be the weird one. But the “health nut”. Do you want to be like most Americans or do you want to feel good, have energy to do whatever you want all day long, and age gracefully with a less of a chance of having pain and disease for as long as possible? Living healthy takes work and dedication. You need to decide moment-by-moment to make healthy decisions, every day. For example, deciding to get off the couch to walk the dog or skipping dessert at dinner. It takes dedication but it’s worth it. Below is what to do, goals to shoot for, concerning facts, things to remember and links to helpful tools and additional information.
- 71.6% of American adults are overweight (BMI > 25),
- with 39.8% of them being obese (BMI > 30),
- and 7.6% are severely obesity (BMI > 40). source
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in American. source
To be healthy.
Characteristics of the Goal
To be at an appropriate weight for your height, to be limber, and to have enough energy to do what you want daily.
To not be overweight or do things that you know increases the chance of damaging your health or to make you die earlier.Be at a healthy weight and BMI. Use the BMI calculator link below.
Blood pressure between 90/60 and 120/80.
Have a resting heart rate between 60 and 100 bpm.
Get blood panel performed and have healthy ranges for all tests.
- Eat a diet rich in fresh foods, vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts. Low in processed foods, carbs, salt and sugar.
- Exercise 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity week, or a combination of both.
- Get 8 hours of high-quality sleep.
- Drink plenty of water daily.
- Fast regularly.
- Sit up straight and walk with your shoulders back.
- Stretch often, at least every morning and every couple of hours.
- Don’t sit for too long. Every 30 minutes, sit for 15, stand for 10, move for 5.